Santa Ana City Council to Consider Rent Control and Just Cause Eviction Ordinances
On Tuesday, September 21, the Santa Ana City Council will consider the adoption of over-reaching and punitive Rent Control and Just Cause Eviction ordinances that would, among other things:
- Cap annual rent increases at 3%, or 80% of CPI (whichever is less).
- Extend "just cause" eviction protections after 30 days, instead of 1 year.
- Establish a city council-appointed rent control board with broad authority.
- Require rental-property owners to provide tenant relocation assistance equal to three (3) months rent, if the owner intends to move back into their rental.
- Allow tenants to add occupants without owner approval.
- Enable squatting without recourse for rental-housing providers.
- Impose additional administrative and operational obligations on rental-housing providers.
The proposed ordinance only gets worse! For an overview of the proposal, to review the support documents for the Santa Ana City Council meeting, and for more information about how to voice your opposition, CLICK HERE.
For additional information or to find out how you can get involved in the fight against rent control and just cause eviction in Santa Ana, contact Chip Ahlswede at firstname.lastname@example.org or (714) 245-9500.