Santa Ana City Council Meeting - Oppose Rent Control & Just Cause Eviction
Tuesday, September 21, 2021
4:45 PM - 11:59 PM (PDT)
THIS TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, the SANTA ANA CITY COUNCIL will consider the adoption of over-reaching and punitive RENT CONTROL and JUST CAUSE EVICTION ORDINANCES that would, among other things:
- Cap annual rent increases at 3%, or 80% of CPI (whichever is less).
- Extend "just cause" eviction protections after 30 days, instead of 1 year.
- Establish a city council-appointed rent control board with broad authority.
- Require rental-property owners to provide tenant relocation assistance equal to three (3) months rent, if the owner intends to move back into their rental.
- Allow tenants to add occupants without owner approval.
- Enable squatting without recourse for rental-housing providers.
- Impose additional administrative and operational obligations on rental-housing providers.
The city of Santa Ana placed this proposal on the city council agenda without any prior outreach to or engagement with rental-housing providers or industry representatives.
Join AAOC in OPPOSING THIS PROPOSAL. Attend the city council meeting (in-person or online) and make your opposition known!